Welcome! I'm a 48 (and 1/2) year old, wife, mother (8 1/2 year old son), daughter, sister, friend and volunteer. So, 48.5 really means I'm into my 49th year on this amazing planet, and on July 19, 2010, I'll be in my 50th year. The mid-century mark. L. The big 5-0. However you want to say it, to most of the English speaking world, it means "old". I want to get there with grace, passion, beauty, love and laughter. I want to get there the old-fashioned way: by taking care of myself, eating right, creating a balanced life, laughing and living life to it's fullest. I'll be documenting my journey and hope you will watch and learn along the way. I'll also provide some of my tips for looking young and feeling your best as we head to and beyond our mid-century mark. Here's to being "Beautifully 50".

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Apple Juice, Honey and Salmon, oh my!



Yum! As we know, our recommended serving of fatty fish is twice weekly (at least). I'm lucky because I love all fish, but my family is pickier. My son loves fish sticks, swordfish, and salmon, and in that order, so I'm constantly scrambling for new fish entrees that he actually might take more than a bite or two.

 I have to share this recipe that I just tried last night...it was easy, delicious and a crowd pleaser (ok, so I have a small crowd, but the two of them are definitely hard to please).  Again, it was from one of my favorite sites, www.elise.com...I've never been disappointed with any dish a la Elise. I always read the comments section and inevitably they are profuse with adulations for her recipes. This "Glazed Salmon" recipe was no different. I've got it bookmarked already and will be serving it again and again. Enjoy, and know you're reaping the benefits of salmon's Omega 3's!


Glazed Salmon 

 1/2 cup apple juice (I use Organic)
1 1/4 TBS Honey (Again, I use organic, next time I'll try Agave Nectar)
4 skinless wild salmon fillets (approx. 6 oz. each)
1 tsp olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
Lemon - cut in half

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place salmon in baking dish.

2. In a saucepan over medium-high heat,  bring the cider and honey to a boil, allowing the mixture to bubble steadily until decreased by 1/2 volume.

3. Pour cider mixture over salmon and let sit for 10 minutes.

4. Heat olive oil in large, oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle salmon with salt & pepper to taste. Place fish in skillet, brush with leftover glaze and cook for 2 minutes or until the glaze begins to carmelize.

5. Turn salmon, brush with glaze, squeeze and add lemons (cut side down) and cook for 2 more minutes.

6. Transfer skillet to oven and bake for 6-8 minutes or until salmon easily flakes with a tip of a knife.

Just a reminder, be careful when pulling the hot skillet from oven, the handle will be hot!



Serve with sauteed spinach or a spinach salad and you have a quick, delicious, company worthy meal! If desired, add quinoa or whole wheat rolls for your grains.

1 comment:

Cashon&Co said...

YUM. i'm printing this recipe right now.