Welcome! I'm a 48 (and 1/2) year old, wife, mother (8 1/2 year old son), daughter, sister, friend and volunteer. So, 48.5 really means I'm into my 49th year on this amazing planet, and on July 19, 2010, I'll be in my 50th year. The mid-century mark. L. The big 5-0. However you want to say it, to most of the English speaking world, it means "old". I want to get there with grace, passion, beauty, love and laughter. I want to get there the old-fashioned way: by taking care of myself, eating right, creating a balanced life, laughing and living life to it's fullest. I'll be documenting my journey and hope you will watch and learn along the way. I'll also provide some of my tips for looking young and feeling your best as we head to and beyond our mid-century mark. Here's to being "Beautifully 50".

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Just say "NO"!

Really, I wish it was that easy (it sure is for my 8-year-old)!  It should be..I mean, I'm a confident, strong, outgoing middle-aged woman who knows what makes me happy, right? Then why is it so hard for me to decline the endless requests for volunteer help at my son's school? Does it fill a need to please? To control something? Quite honestly, I'm not so sure, and please tell me I'm not alone in this quandary.

I do know that being overcommitted overwhelms me.  Dr. Mao wants us to realize that there is lots of power in the word "no" and that we just have to relearn how to use it, just like we were two-years-old again.  "When we are able to acknowledge our limitations and our need for peace by saying no to additional burdens, we reclaim control of our lives and reduce stress (Secrets of Longevity)." And, when we reduce stress on ourselves, we are happier...and I bet everyone around us is happier too.

So, now I'm done with all of the baskets for our upcoming auction..oh, wait, I need to "show and tell" them at the cafeteria all next week. Ok, when that's done..oh wait, I'm a dancer in our "Dancing with the Stars" themed auction party.  Then it's chairing "Blue and Gold" field days in May...and then...something I swore I'd never do.. chairing Fun Day next October - our huge two-school carnival.  I promise, after that, I'm saying NO! Someone, please, hold me to it!

Just a small sampling of baskets that have taken over
my house for the past two weeks! 

5 comments:

Cashon&Co said...

you know i'll hold you to it! you do so much! :)

Antonia Rosina said...

Just concentrate on the fact it keeps you slim and your brain "well toned" :) Seriously you do a lot, but I bet you feel good about it. When you actually say "No" be sure that you fill that "space" with something exclusively for YOU. Great blog by the way :)

MrsKP said...

You know I'm much happier now that I've drawn the line on what I will and won't do for school. You can still contribute in meaningful ways without it overtaking your life. Give 'no' a try ... you can always start saying 'yes' again if you find yourself with nothing to do (DOUBT IT!) xoxo

Beautifully50 said...

Thanks for the comments girls! SHelley - I love your idea of saying that you don't do meetings...that's going to be my new motto! xoxo

A Perfect Gray said...

I'm here via La Dolfina. Great site. As the years go by, I find "no" a little bit easier, but I still waffle a good bit! Loved your post!