Welcome! I'm a 48 (and 1/2) year old, wife, mother (8 1/2 year old son), daughter, sister, friend and volunteer. So, 48.5 really means I'm into my 49th year on this amazing planet, and on July 19, 2010, I'll be in my 50th year. The mid-century mark. L. The big 5-0. However you want to say it, to most of the English speaking world, it means "old". I want to get there with grace, passion, beauty, love and laughter. I want to get there the old-fashioned way: by taking care of myself, eating right, creating a balanced life, laughing and living life to it's fullest. I'll be documenting my journey and hope you will watch and learn along the way. I'll also provide some of my tips for looking young and feeling your best as we head to and beyond our mid-century mark. Here's to being "Beautifully 50".

Friday, January 15, 2010

Hair Today, Gone Today

Ok, I'm going to get personal. I was in beautiful, sunny California visiting one of my bff's and we were excited about going out one evening. Manhattan Beach, here we come! Of course, we were trying to look our best, without looking like we were trying too hard (that's a talent!).  She's a big exec in the cosmetics industry and has EVERY tool, cream, color and contraption that you would need to work almost any body part. So, as we were primping in her bathroom, I noticed her major make-up mirror. See, I've only used a wall mirror, and an occasional look in a small magnifying mirror when I pluck my eyebrows. 

UGH! I couldn't believe what I was seeing! I had a new growth of hair all over my upper cheekbones and forehead...something that I couldn't really see in my regular wall mirror! We had a great belly laugh as my friend started calling me "Wolfman Cindy".  I was not laughing on the inside. I have an older, beautiful friend (63 yrs. old) that gets her face waxed, and I mean her entire face, every few weeks. I never understood that until this day in CA. I've never been very hairy - no arm hair, no thigh hair, but that's not helping me now.

So, my first tip is to invest in a good make-up mirror - the kind that nice hotels always have available.  Look for one with a clear, distortion free magnification (5X is standard, but you can even go higher if needed), and one that has a light setting for daylight, office and evening. Make sure you get one that is hands' free and has an adjustable mirror (standing) or arm (wall mounted). We all know our eyes are not as good as they used to be, so this purchase alone can make a signifcant difference in your make-up application.

My second tip is about the hair. What to do!? For that evening out in Manhattan Beach, I ended up plucking a lot of it (yes, I know that nobody but me would even notice it), but I felt better with it off my face. It's really not that much, but enough to give me a slightly darker cast on my skin in those areas. I've always had a little mustache hair, and I've always been a bleacher vs. a waxer. Waxing for most is great, but usually left me with little bumps and redness, not to mention the cost and time. I've used Jolen bleach cream for years...follow the directions and in 10 minutes my 'stache was gone. Hmmm..would this work on my face? Well, it works great! Any time I notice (in my new mirror) the dreaded darkness, I whip out my bleach cream and it's taken care of immediately. I truly notice a difference in my skin...brighter and lighter!

Now, I have dark hair and again, the hair on my face is very short, I may have to resort to waxing if it gets any longer. If you have short, little,blonde hairs, this probably isn't an issue for you..yet.  Waxing is for another post...

So, buy that mirror and really check your face! You may be surprised what you find - I was!
Wolfman Cindy

Two popular creme bleaching products
Jolen Creme Bleach
Sally Hansen Creme Hair Bleach
Available Nationwide

No comments: