Welcome! I'm a 48 (and 1/2) year old, wife, mother (8 1/2 year old son), daughter, sister, friend and volunteer. So, 48.5 really means I'm into my 49th year on this amazing planet, and on July 19, 2010, I'll be in my 50th year. The mid-century mark. L. The big 5-0. However you want to say it, to most of the English speaking world, it means "old". I want to get there with grace, passion, beauty, love and laughter. I want to get there the old-fashioned way: by taking care of myself, eating right, creating a balanced life, laughing and living life to it's fullest. I'll be documenting my journey and hope you will watch and learn along the way. I'll also provide some of my tips for looking young and feeling your best as we head to and beyond our mid-century mark. Here's to being "Beautifully 50".

Friday, January 22, 2010

Calypso, Take me Away!



From now on, my Fridays' are dedicated to fashion! I love fashion and hope that I never get to the point when I don't care what I look like...actually, I know I'll never get there, I'd have to be strapped in a bed with a 'no visitors allowed' sign!  Some people seem to relish in the fact that they wear sweats every day and live in Target t-shirts..don't get me wrong, that's how you'll see me on many a day, but it doesn't make me happy. I'm happier and feel better when I feel cute and put together..and I'm thinking most of us do. So why is it so difficult to figure out what to wear? It certainly wasn't this hard in our 20's and 30's, but our bodies have changed and the term "age appropriate" really means something now.

In my 40's, I've found myself steering away from the big box stores and getting to know all of the smaller boutiques in town. Less selection is more for me as I age. I know my shape, style, likes, and dislikes. My nevers - halters, mini-skirts, short shorts, and embellisment of most sorts. I get to know the salespersons well, and love getting the occasional phone call that my "perfect" top has arrived...as if it was ordered especially for me.

One of my favorite go-to boutiques is Calypso St.-Barth at http://www.calypso-celle.com/, an eclectic boutique selling everything you need from head to toe (think: casual & weekend wear) and exquisite home accessories as well. Calypso is only in 7 states (lucky for me, Texas is one of them), 2 doors in Paris, and locations in St. Thomas and St. Barths...not bad company!  It's also (for me) best for a spring/summer wardrobe, although some of their winter sweaters are yummy. Their sizes run true to size..for any on-line shoppers.

Here's my crave list for Spring 2010:


Nuella Dress
Love it belted like this, with flats
Layer a cardi if you don't like your arms
Perfect daytime spring look




Layered Neck Tee
Everyday Wear
Other shades available




Alexa Tunic
Great with white jeans or denim
Doubles as a bathing suit cover-up
Other shades available, but I love this blue

 
Feminine Ruffle Shirt
Casual or Work
A wardrobe staple!

Sailor Shirt
Weekend wear..nautical is a big trend for Spring 2010
Wear it with denim, white or khaki








Sheer Striped Scarf with distressed tassel trims
The perfect pick-me-up
I love the grey/chocolate brown version too...
Immediate hipness & age appropriate

 
Yali Striped Sweater
Great on everyone!
Two shades available



Darshini Sweater
Featherweight, Boyfriend Cardi
100% Italian Cashmere








Basic Lace Layering Tank
Many colors available
I own these - perfection (buy one size up)

Gange Sandal
Orange acts like a neutral in spring/summer
Wear with everything!



Lizard embossed bracelet
Trendy yet age appropriate



Blair Throw
Basket woven blanket
Perfect over a couch arm or bed




Laura Kindle Designs for Calypso
Oval Platter
In Sand dollar motif too
Beautiful summertime party platter


So this is my CRAVE list...I'll be really lucky if I end up with a few, and I'll be looking for knock-offs of the rest! Happy Shopping! Oh - and don't let the young looking supermodels deter you...not every piece in Calypso is for us, but these selections will work like a dream.




No comments: