Welcome! I'm a 48 (and 1/2) year old, wife, mother (8 1/2 year old son), daughter, sister, friend and volunteer. So, 48.5 really means I'm into my 49th year on this amazing planet, and on July 19, 2010, I'll be in my 50th year. The mid-century mark. L. The big 5-0. However you want to say it, to most of the English speaking world, it means "old". I want to get there with grace, passion, beauty, love and laughter. I want to get there the old-fashioned way: by taking care of myself, eating right, creating a balanced life, laughing and living life to it's fullest. I'll be documenting my journey and hope you will watch and learn along the way. I'll also provide some of my tips for looking young and feeling your best as we head to and beyond our mid-century mark. Here's to being "Beautifully 50".

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Big Brush Off



Another Dr. Mao tip and something that I would never have guessed is a popular practice among the world's centenarians - body brushing. Using a dry brush with natural (avoid synthetic) bristles to sweep the surface of the entire body. It makes good sense though, as the skin is the largest and most important eliminative organ in the body and is responsible for 25% of the bodies detoxification on a daily basis. The skin receives 1/3rd of all blood circulated in the body and eliminates over 1 lb. of waste acid each day in the average person, mostly via the sweat glands. Seems incredulous, doesn't it? The skin is also last to receive nutrients, but the first to show imbalance or deficiency in nutrients. So, if someone tells you that your skin looks good, you are doing something very right!


The Russians, Turks and Scandanavians have been performing body brushing for centuries (hmmm...that could be why my Swedish friend has ZERO cellulite on her body...). It's very popular in most European spas and many cancer treatment centers throughout the world, as it's a detox program for the skin and other organs. The list of benefits reads like a miracle cure. Decreases cellulite, cleans lymphatic system, removes dead skin layers, strengthens immune system, tightens, tones, stimulates hormone and oil producing glands, increases circulation, increases nervous system function and aids in digestion! Check, check, check - I need everyone one of these!


So, how to brush? Invest in a soft, natural fiber brush with a long handle to reach the hard to get places. Brush before your daily shower (the water will wash away the impurities) from bottom of feet to legs, hands, arms, abdomen, shoulders, back and neck. Take long upward (towards the heart) strokes and form a counter-clockwise motion on the stomach. Breasts get a light sweep and the neck gets a downward motion. Rinse with cold water for the last minute of your shower to further stimulate your circulation system. And lastly, massage your, now softer, skin with lotion and you are good to go.

Of course, I've heard this before, but never knew the full benefits - I assumed my bath puff in the shower was doing the same job.  I've been faithfully brushing for over a week and I have to admit, it feels great and my skin feels baby soft...still waiting for my cellulite to disappear, but isn't soft, dimpled skin better than dry, scaly, dimpled skin?  I think so!


The Perfect Body Brush
Available here at Ulta

Isn't your only body worth the extra 5 minutes per day?

2 comments:

Tish Jett said...

I've got the brush, now thanks to you I have the technique.

How lovely to have found your stunning blog.

I loved the MORE cover with Sigourney Weaver as well. She is sublime.

Warm regards,
Tish

Cashon&Co said...

I use the Buff Puff body scrub on my body and my face, and it works a dream. I read an interview years ago with Christie Brinkley and it asked how she stayed so young looking. She said she buff puffs her body/face till it hurts! And of course immediately, I bought one. hah!
I hope to look like her at 50! ah, hell, even 40.