Welcome! I'm a 48 (and 1/2) year old, wife, mother (8 1/2 year old son), daughter, sister, friend and volunteer. So, 48.5 really means I'm into my 49th year on this amazing planet, and on July 19, 2010, I'll be in my 50th year. The mid-century mark. L. The big 5-0. However you want to say it, to most of the English speaking world, it means "old". I want to get there with grace, passion, beauty, love and laughter. I want to get there the old-fashioned way: by taking care of myself, eating right, creating a balanced life, laughing and living life to it's fullest. I'll be documenting my journey and hope you will watch and learn along the way. I'll also provide some of my tips for looking young and feeling your best as we head to and beyond our mid-century mark. Here's to being "Beautifully 50".

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Coffee, Tea or Me?


Thank you, I'll take the tea please! One of the things I like about Dr. Mao's "Secrets of Longevity" is that he studied centenarians around the world for over twenty years before compiling all of his research on the science of longevity. Of course, diet and nutrition were a major component of his findings. Everything we all know is in his book - drink lots of water, eat a rainbow of colors, limit fat, limit alcohol, love blueberries, and so on and so forth! I won't be boring you with all the obvious facts (but a gentle reminder here or there may be needed - for both of us!).

I always knew that tea was good for you, but I've never been a tea-aholic. Boy, is that going to change! Dr. Mao has found that the number one beverage most commonly enjoyed by centenarians around the globe is tea. "The free radical-inhibiting property of tea is more potent than that of vitamin E, and tea is a proven preventative and treatment for atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries).  The polyphenols in tea are powerful antioxidents that help ward off diabetes and cancer." (Excerpt from "Secrets of Longevity")

So, I did my own investigating and anything and everything I read about tea was encouraging. Aging, allergies, arthritis, bone strength, cancer, cholesterol, heart disease and weight loss, drink 3-4 cups of tea a day or more, and all of these categories are affected in a positive way. Prevention Magazine states that 1 cup of  tea has more anti-oxident power than a serving of brocolli, carrots or spinach!  Black, oolong, and green tea all come from the same tea plant, the camellia sinensis, and most current research concludes that all three types of tea are equally beneficial to your health.

Also, one thing that I had never come across in any prior readings, you MUST brew your tea for at least 3 -5 minutes in order to bring out the beneficial polyphenols..I'm an instant gratification girl and doubt that I've ever let my tea brew that long. I'll also be purchasing organically grown tea (I just watched the movie "Food, Inc."  - I'd consider myself 25% organic in the past, oh, wait this is for another post!)

With this said, I'll start drinking tea - every day and all day. No more decaf coffee after lunch or dinner it's tea all the way. By the way, tea has one-half the caffeine as coffee and findings have shown that taking the caffeine out of tea doesn't diminish the benefits in any way.  Cheerio!




Camellia Sinenis
Beautiful, this has GOT to be healthy!


Elinluv.blogspot.com
Terrific Recipe for Green Tea Ice Cream


Closet Cooking Blog
Green Tea Cake


Taste of Home.com
Green Tea Chicken Teriyaki


Mighty Leaf Tea
I've had this and it's delicious!
Tea leaves are less processed than tea bags.


No excuses...tea lattes, now at Starbucks!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL! Just brewed myself a cup of tea and sat down to read your blog, and lo and behold, it's about tea!! I love tea and just in the past 2 months I've sworn off my morning coffee and reach for my favorite tea: Barney and Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice available at Barnes and Noble!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I don't know if I can give up my coffee but I think I can incorporate some tea!! I only drink one cup of coffee a day and it's my favorite thing in the morning. I am going to incorporate more tea now though. I have always known how good it is for you but you reinforced it. I am starting with one cup of tea a day!
One of my favorites is Trader Joe's Organic Green tea.


My f

Anonymous said...

Mmm, a nice cup of tea. My favorite is Celestial's green tea, mint decaf. I can't get enough-it's the only flavor I want to drink 3-4 times a day. Tea forte also is a fun brand. They have the cutest little tea bags and cups. Waiting for the tea to steep, feeling the heat of the cup and enjoying the aroma of the brew, all have a way of calming me down. I feel even better now that I read your blog.