Welcome! I'm a 48 (and 1/2) year old, wife, mother (8 1/2 year old son), daughter, sister, friend and volunteer. So, 48.5 really means I'm into my 49th year on this amazing planet, and on July 19, 2010, I'll be in my 50th year. The mid-century mark. L. The big 5-0. However you want to say it, to most of the English speaking world, it means "old". I want to get there with grace, passion, beauty, love and laughter. I want to get there the old-fashioned way: by taking care of myself, eating right, creating a balanced life, laughing and living life to it's fullest. I'll be documenting my journey and hope you will watch and learn along the way. I'll also provide some of my tips for looking young and feeling your best as we head to and beyond our mid-century mark. Here's to being "Beautifully 50".

Monday, January 18, 2010

I want MORE!!!!


More, the magazine for women ages 40 and up. Let's see, I've been 40 for 8.5 years now, and I've never purchased a single copy. And it's not like I don't love my magazines! Give me Elle, Bazaar, Vanity Fair, House Beautiful, Us, People, Allure, Foreign Policy (ok, one of my bff's got me a subscription and I have read a few articles), Women's Health, even  Real Simple and I'm happy.

So why haven't I purchased More? Denial. Yes, I didn't want to admit - to me and to possibly the sales girl - that I was over 40! I feel 30, some people say I could pass for someone in my 30's (ok, even if it's 39, I'll take it!), so this magazine couldn't be for me!

Well, as the topper to this blog indicates, I've decided to embrace my age instead of running from it, so last time I was in my favorite book store, I, gulp, purchased my first More and I haven't put it down since!

There is so much valuable information for ladies in our age group that don't make it to the pages of  my favorite rags. We all know that we are going through lots of changes in our bodies, in our minds, and More addresses these. From this issue alone, I'm going to eat more popcorn (ranked second in snack category for high levels of anti-oxidants), toss out my BenGay (ice treatment is more effective for sore muscles), start growing basil (the scent alone is a great de-stressor), attempt to sleep only on my back (derms can tell which side a patient sleeps on by the greater number of wrinkles on that side of face), and pace backwards (helps you think faster)!

And, I love the last page of this magazine as it's dedicated to Sophia Loren, one of the most glamorous, timeless, beautiful actresses in the world, who, with Racquel Welch, invented the term "sex appeal".  She's lived her life to the fullest and at 75, she's appearing with Daniel Day-Lewis in the outstanding musical film Nine - a must see for anyone that loves music, dancing, all things Italian, and a provacative story line (I've seen it once and want to see it again!) I also love that at 71, she posed for the racy Pirelli limited-edition calendar and looked amazing! By the way, she still eats spaghetti every day. Not a bad role model for us 40-plus women, and I hope I'm even half as elegant as she is by the time I reach 75...and I will get there!

So, next time you walk by a magazine counter, pick up More, you'll be pleasantly surprised. To my 40-plus friends, don't be surprised if a More subscription is your next birthday gift!



Exquisite... in her late 30's.


Pirelli Calendar, 2007, she's 71!


Nine Launch Party
Glamorous as ever at 75

No comments: