Welcome! I'm a 48 (and 1/2) year old, wife, mother (8 1/2 year old son), daughter, sister, friend and volunteer. So, 48.5 really means I'm into my 49th year on this amazing planet, and on July 19, 2010, I'll be in my 50th year. The mid-century mark. L. The big 5-0. However you want to say it, to most of the English speaking world, it means "old". I want to get there with grace, passion, beauty, love and laughter. I want to get there the old-fashioned way: by taking care of myself, eating right, creating a balanced life, laughing and living life to it's fullest. I'll be documenting my journey and hope you will watch and learn along the way. I'll also provide some of my tips for looking young and feeling your best as we head to and beyond our mid-century mark. Here's to being "Beautifully 50".

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Hey Neighbor!



Do you know yours? I have to say, I've been living in the same neighborhood for almost 10 years now,  and I only know a handful of neighbors..and none of them on a social level. Sure, every once in a while we have neighborhood kids' events, but our busy lives and not too close homes make it difficult to even catch a glimpse of someone next-door. Fortunately, we have an elderly couple to our left with whom we share neighborly-like chores, like picking up each other's papers when traveling, and it feels great to help them.

Luck. I think that's what it comes down to...you move into your new home and luck defines your neighbors. My good friend built a house right behind one of her family's best friends. Another friend moved onto a street with 21 same-age boys on one block. I'm happy for them, but long for that type of 'hood.

One of Dr. Mao's tips is to be a good neighbor. Spiritual literature throughout history has promoted one constant theme: love your neighbor and treat others as you wish to be treated. Neighbors can play an important role in times of need. I have friends whose neighbors become like an extended family, sharing meals, fun, child rearing and more. Dr. Mao's research indicates the community that neighbors can create help avert loneliness and isolation, and promote a longer happier life.



So, I'm going to make more of an effort to get to know my neighbors. Do you have great neighbors? I bet you do..I know they do! Coffee, anyone?

No comments: