Welcome! I'm a 48 (and 1/2) year old, wife, mother (8 1/2 year old son), daughter, sister, friend and volunteer. So, 48.5 really means I'm into my 49th year on this amazing planet, and on July 19, 2010, I'll be in my 50th year. The mid-century mark. L. The big 5-0. However you want to say it, to most of the English speaking world, it means "old". I want to get there with grace, passion, beauty, love and laughter. I want to get there the old-fashioned way: by taking care of myself, eating right, creating a balanced life, laughing and living life to it's fullest. I'll be documenting my journey and hope you will watch and learn along the way. I'll also provide some of my tips for looking young and feeling your best as we head to and beyond our mid-century mark. Here's to being "Beautifully 50".

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Go Fish for Health

So I'm starting easy. In my last post I let you know that I would be following the recommendations in the book  "Secrets of Longevity" by Dr. Maoshing Ni.  Without even opening the book, I would have guessed there was a section (or page...another thing I love about this book, one tip per page!) on the healthy benefits of Omega-3, the fatty acids found in fish.  I love fish and since I've only consumed chicken, fish and dairy for animal protein over the past 28 years (no red meat, no pork), I eat it a lot!

There are so many reasons you must include fish in your diet! For animal products, it's highest in protein and lowest in fat.  The American Heart Association recommends eating fish at least twice a week, particularily fatty fish (think tuna, salmon, trout) for the omega-3 fatty acids. Omega -3's help to protect blood vessels from plaque, reduce inflammation, prevent high blood pressure and help maintain good respiratory health. Populations with a diet consisting mainly of fish, fresh fruits, and local vegetables (another post topic), experience virtually no heart disease and have a high percentage of healthy seniors (excerpt from 'Secrets of Longevity').

Other products with Omega-3's include tofu, soy beans, canola, walnut and flax seeds and their oils. Dr. Mao and the AHA both recommend getting your vitamin and minerals from the food you eat, in lieu of dietary supplements, however, there are excellent sources of omega-3 supplements on the market. Look for supplements made from organic, cold-pressed oils.


Panko Crusted Salmon
Photo Credit: http://www.elise.com/
This leads me to last night's dinner, using yet another fantastic recipe from my favorite recipe site http://www.elise.com/. EVERY recipe I've made from this site is a winner. I love that she includes photos for each recipe, and that she has a HUGE following (read: lots of great comments) with readers that are not afraid to give their opinions.  Last night I made the 'Panko Crusted Salmon' with a side of peas and carrots. So easy and delicious,  I almost want it again tonight! It's baked salmon with a mustard/thyme coating, topped with whole-wheat (my substitute) panko breadcrumbs. I used far less olive oil than the recipe suggested and it was still exquisite. If you've never used panko breadcrumbs, you must give them a try. They really add a crunch that you don't get with the regular variety. I substitute them in almost everything now!

So, that's one fatty fish this week..with 5 days to go. I can do it! Can you??

1 comment:

Cashon&Co said...

that salmon looks soooo good, i need to visit that recipe site. just had salmon for lunch too! but i'm going to forgo the green tea for some wine tonite. :)
i take flax oil capsules too, in case you can't get it all from food. but theyre like giant horse pills - blech....