Welcome! I'm a 48 (and 1/2) year old, wife, mother (8 1/2 year old son), daughter, sister, friend and volunteer. So, 48.5 really means I'm into my 49th year on this amazing planet, and on July 19, 2010, I'll be in my 50th year. The mid-century mark. L. The big 5-0. However you want to say it, to most of the English speaking world, it means "old". I want to get there with grace, passion, beauty, love and laughter. I want to get there the old-fashioned way: by taking care of myself, eating right, creating a balanced life, laughing and living life to it's fullest. I'll be documenting my journey and hope you will watch and learn along the way. I'll also provide some of my tips for looking young and feeling your best as we head to and beyond our mid-century mark. Here's to being "Beautifully 50".

Monday, January 25, 2010

Face Time

Last time I treated myself to a facial (actually, I think I received a gift certificate), I recall filling out the "new client" form..Check the box(es) below if you are concerned about any of the following:

Fine lines and wrinkles - check.
Sun and age spots - check.
Loss of elasticity - check.
Uneven skin tone - check.
Dryness - check.
Oilyness- check.
Texture issues - check.
Skin brightness - check.

I actually checked EVERY box...and then my 22 year-old aesthetician started examining my skin under her powerful microscope. "Aren't you concerned about blackheads?" Seriously, that was the first thing she said to me! Of course I responded, "Well, yes, but that wasn't on your list"!

Honestly, I do have all of the issues listed above, years of tanning, both indoor and out,  have definitely caused the majority of my skin problems. We all remember the drill - baby oil mixed with iodine and album covers covered with tin foil. Seriously - what were we thinking?! Now, I did win a few tanning contests, but that's no claim to fame now. Fortunately I got smart, and I've been using sunscreen for the last 8 or so years.

So, since I have almost every issue in the facial world, I'm going to share my current favorite products. I say current, because I'm a product hopper. Switching my regimen yearly seems to work best for my skin. Again, I firmly believe that all skin is different and you need to find what works for you, this is simply what works for me!

My daily regimen from morning to night:

Morning - Cleanse with  Olay Definity Illuminating Cream Cleanser. The Definity line addresses discoloration and pigmentation issues. Now, I don't think that cleansers can have a huge impact on skin, but I love the feel of this and it certainly does the job. Moisturize with Olay Definity Correcting Protection Lotion with an SPF 15. It's an anti-aging moisturizer, works great as a make-up base and I really feel like it gives a luminous look to the skin. My foundation is an SPF 20 (Lancome Renergie Lift) which is good enough for the winter months. In the summer, I add Neutrogena Ultra-sheer dry touch SPF 55- it's lightweight and non-irritating at a great price, plus an Allure Best Product 2009. My favorite eye cream ever is HYLEXIN by Bremenn Research Labs. HYLEXIN is formulated to help reduce the appearance of serious dark circles, and as I get older, mine are definitely worsening. I've always had dark circles and being in the beauty biz for 10+ years, I've tried everything out there to combat this issue. HYLEXIN really works, keeping my dark shadows at bay. 





Evening - No, it's not the same as the morning regimen. Nighttime equates with renewal, your body needs sleep to repair and rejuvenate. In other words, the biggest bang for the buck occurs while you are sleeping, so be sure to have an active nighttime skin regimen. Most importantly, no matter how tired you are, be sure to take the time to take off that make-up and slather on the good stuff. An old cosmetic wive's tale is that for every night you sleep in your make-up, you age seven days. I don't need to age even one more day.

My nighttime regimen is a little off the beaten path. Years ago, I discovered, through a friend who had to-die- for skin, a little line called Gerri Weise. Products are sold at dermatologists and plastic surgeons and on-line at http://www.gerriweise.com/.  I fell in love with the Orange Papaya Cleansing Gel and the Maximum Care Buffing Creme. Combine the two to deep clean and gently exfoliate without stripping natural oils. Start out every other day for the first few weeks and then move to daily. After this, I use a 20% glycolic lotion, and highly recommend that everyone over 40 makes a visit to their derm for this type of product. It aids in collagen production to increase firmness and fullness, keeps pores clean, helps skin tone by aiding in exfoliation of old, dark pigment, increases skin texture by removing rough, dead cells, and is a powerful anti-oxidant. I believe that my 20% glycolic lotion has changed my skin more than any other product I've used...


Gerry Weise Orange Papaya Cleansing Gel
Gerry Weise maximum care buffing creme

After the glycolic lotion, I use a skin lightening cream from Neocutis called "Blanche" (also an Allure Best Product 2009).  This is a Rx only cream with Hydroquinone USP, 4% as it's main ingredient. Since I do have a lot of sun spots and uneven skin tone, this helps to keep any further damage at bay, while helping to lighten my "freckles". So now comes the La Roche-Posay SUBSTIANE that I've already raved about in a previous post. A replenishing lotion for mature skin that helps to tighen, tone and firm. HYLEXIN for eyes at bedtime again, with Lancome's Absolue Eye Premium Bx on top. Yes, they usually say less is more, but I believe more is more when it comes to eye cream!




Wait! I'm not done yet! Each week, I give myself my own mini-facial. First, I cleanse my skin , then I take a very warm, moist washcloth and keep it on my face for 5 - 15 minutes, depending on how much time I have.  The warmth and moisture helps to loosen any dead skin and/or clogged pores. Since I have combination skin, I use Lancome's Hydra-Intense Masque on my cheeks and forehead, and Lancome's Pure Empreint Masque on my nose and chin. Leave them on for 10 minutes, and I feel like I've just left the Ritz Spa. Ok, I'm lying. Nothing compares to the Ritz Spa. But my cheeks and forehead feel ultra-moisturized, and my nose and chin feel clean and tight. Follow your nighttime routine and you are good to go....hopefully to the Ritz Spa. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........


  

1 comment:

Cashon&Co said...

i'm totally on board of course w/ the olay & glycoloic :) which I LOVE, but i want to try the Lancome masks. I haven't done that in WAY TOO LONG....it's time!