Welcome! I'm a 48 (and 1/2) year old, wife, mother (8 1/2 year old son), daughter, sister, friend and volunteer. So, 48.5 really means I'm into my 49th year on this amazing planet, and on July 19, 2010, I'll be in my 50th year. The mid-century mark. L. The big 5-0. However you want to say it, to most of the English speaking world, it means "old". I want to get there with grace, passion, beauty, love and laughter. I want to get there the old-fashioned way: by taking care of myself, eating right, creating a balanced life, laughing and living life to it's fullest. I'll be documenting my journey and hope you will watch and learn along the way. I'll also provide some of my tips for looking young and feeling your best as we head to and beyond our mid-century mark. Here's to being "Beautifully 50".

Monday, February 22, 2010

Dancing with the Stars, Part 1

What I'm about to write about is still somewhat surreal to me, however, it's about to get real, and in only 6 days! Last fall I was asked by the chairperson of my son's school auction to consider being one of the "stars" in our "Dancing with the Stars" themed evening. My son attends an all-boys school and the "auction" is our major fundraiser of the year, sometimes bringing in upwards of $500,000! Each year the chairperson determines the theme and attempts to increase funds raised over previous years' events. You get the drift....

So, when asked, I actually jumped at the opportunity. Always a "Dancing with the Stars" fan, the thought of getting professional lessons (they comped eight 45-minute lessons), dancing with a pro, wearing a cute outfit and helping to raise money for my son's school was so appealing.  I have zero dance background, other than shaking it with the girls on a girls' night out. Oh, that's right, I took ballet when I was three, and during my recital, dressed as a lion, I urinated all over myself and the stage...(let's pray that doesn't happen this time!).

I've always thought that stepping out of your comfort zone was important in life.  I love trying new hobbies, some I stick with (yoga), and some I'm glad I did, but will never do again (half-marathon), and some are on the back-burner for now (needlepointing). Dancing was something I always thought I could learn fairly easily, but boy I was wrong. Eight 45-minute lessons equates to eight runs down a ski-slope and then performing in the Olympics. Seriously! So, I've handed lots of cash over to the Arthur Murray Dance Studio in hopes of honing my cha-cha skills. In six days, the 500 person, standing room only crowd will see the results of my efforts.

The "show" segment of the evening will run just as a "Dancing with the Stars" competition. There are eight "school" dancers (faculty, staff, 2 parents) and eight "pros". Each amateur will take the stage with their pro for a long one and a half minute routine and then the voting begins. We have three judges that will comment on our performances, and the entire audience votes with some type of electronic gadget. A big, mirrored disco ball trophy goes to the winner, but believe me, that's not my focus. Cha-cha'ing for 90 seconds without falling is my goal.

School Auction Logo
provided by "A Different Perspective" graphic design

Throughout this journey, I've realized that I'm much too hard on myself, I'm too serious, and I need to focus on the real fun dancing has brought to my life. My hopes are that I can carry these feelings over into other aspects of my being...it will be difficult, but I know I just need to lighten up!  Look for "Dancing with the Stars, Part 2" sometime next week...and I'll let you know if I got my cha-cha on or not.

8 comments:

La Dolfina said...

Good for you accepting the challenge!
It's a pretty big deal but you have the right attitude. I think it could be life changing in a way... a good way. I wish I could be there to support you. Have you considered having your husband tape it and putting it on You Tube :) Just an idea!
~xo always

Kathysue said...

This is great and I am sure you will do wonderfully. What a fun evening for all. Great idea. Who knows what doors this might open for you.Can't wait to hear how it all turns out,Have a great week,dancing away, Kathysue

That's Not My Age said...

Fantastic - you've got to show us the video! I've got a feeling you're going to win. Just try to control your bladder!

the gardener's cottage said...

Hi,

Just want to introduce myself and say, "nice to meet you."

Just found your blog and am happy I did. First of all, how fun is that dance competition going to be? I wish you so much luck. I recently turned 52 so I'm loving what I'm reading. Love your advice on the importance of taking care of the chest in addition to the face. Can't wait to read more of your blog. My blog started as a journey of renovating our little house but it is slowly turning into more of my interests. I'll follow you and add you to my blog list.

Good Luck.

~Janet

Antonia Rosina said...

Wow, good for you :) I truly believe that to grow more youthful, you have to step outside of your comfort zone. It expands your brain, and that controls everything else. I agree with That's Not My Age...you'll likely win (but, if not, you're a winner already)!

MrsKP said...

You are going to shine! Just relax and enjoy the moment. I have no doubt it will be thrilling and you will look absolutely beautiful!!! I'll be cheering you on from Arkansas (and fully expect at YouTube posting).

Patricia said...

Cindy, as much as we love to tease, we are SO proud of you! Come what may, I can't wait for Saturday night. You're an inspiration to us all. You GO girl!!!

Bubbles said...

Hi, I've just found your blog and I'm hooked. I'm 52, nearly 53 and although I don't have the courage to leave my comfort zone often, well never just lately, I really admire your zeal. Good luck! oOo x