Welcome! I'm a 48 (and 1/2) year old, wife, mother (8 1/2 year old son), daughter, sister, friend and volunteer. So, 48.5 really means I'm into my 49th year on this amazing planet, and on July 19, 2010, I'll be in my 50th year. The mid-century mark. L. The big 5-0. However you want to say it, to most of the English speaking world, it means "old". I want to get there with grace, passion, beauty, love and laughter. I want to get there the old-fashioned way: by taking care of myself, eating right, creating a balanced life, laughing and living life to it's fullest. I'll be documenting my journey and hope you will watch and learn along the way. I'll also provide some of my tips for looking young and feeling your best as we head to and beyond our mid-century mark. Here's to being "Beautifully 50".

Friday, February 12, 2010

You know you are almost 50 when...

...you want a caftan for Valentine's Day! I now understand Mrs. Roper, of our favorite 70's show, "Three's Company". She wanted to look and feel glamourous even though she rarely left her apartment. Of course, I'm out and about all day long, but come 6:00 PM-ish and I know I've put the keys up for the night, I want comfort. In my 30's and early 40's that usually translated to Juicy Sweats...we all have them, in lots of colors,  and in terry and velour.  Seriously, I'm juiced out.

There's something exotic to me about a caftan, I conjure up images of Morocco and Capri. I envision Jackie O walking the White House in a beautiful silk one.  In the 60's, my pretty mom wore caftans around the house all the time. Comfortable, flattering (extra weight....where?), feminine, and visitor appropriate. Also, for me, I think a caftan is a better alternative to a robe.  No worries that something could be showing when the neighbor or my 8-year-old's friends stop by...my silk robes never seem to stay put!

So K & C...here's the spring floral caftan I want for Valentine's Day..and no "Mrs. Roper" jokes.


Natori Silk Kaftan
Available here at Neiman Marcus

By the way, caftan or kaftan is a Turkish word, and a 'c' or 'k' is correct!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

caftan schmaftan. How about a Louis Vuitton purse?!? xoxo

That's Not My Age said...

No, stick with the kaftan - about 10 years ago I went on holiday to Ibiza with a friend who laughed at my kaftan, but guess who's wearing one now?

Cashon&Co said...

you know what i'm gonna say, queen of the caftan when i was only 20~!!!

Tish Jett said...

Happy Valentine's Day, tres, tres belle femme.

Tishx

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it!! I hope you get it and wear it when I come to visit. Maybe I'll get a matching one! I love even more that Kelli had one when she was 20.
Happy Valentine's Day
C

Unknown said...

What a brilliant idea, do you think they make them in cashmere for us suffering the long cold winter in Britain?

You have a great blog, my first time here via That's Not My Age.

Helena xx

Semi Expat said...

Have a wonderful Valentines Day and do hope you get your caftan! - Great Blog too by the way!!

La Dolfina said...

I totally agree... the caftan rocks!
You'll look amazing in that one from NM!!