Welcome! I'm a 48 (and 1/2) year old, wife, mother (8 1/2 year old son), daughter, sister, friend and volunteer. So, 48.5 really means I'm into my 49th year on this amazing planet, and on July 19, 2010, I'll be in my 50th year. The mid-century mark. L. The big 5-0. However you want to say it, to most of the English speaking world, it means "old". I want to get there with grace, passion, beauty, love and laughter. I want to get there the old-fashioned way: by taking care of myself, eating right, creating a balanced life, laughing and living life to it's fullest. I'll be documenting my journey and hope you will watch and learn along the way. I'll also provide some of my tips for looking young and feeling your best as we head to and beyond our mid-century mark. Here's to being "Beautifully 50".

Monday, February 8, 2010

My Big Girl Book Club

It's cold and rainy  a blizzard in Dallas, a perfect night to cuddle up with a page-turner. You know, those books you absolutely can't put down...I've been known to even read at stop lights, much to the chagrin of fellow drivers, I'm sure. So, like many of you, I'm in a book club..the invitation from a friend came a few months ago, and I'm so glad I accepted. Sure, I've been in others, but I call this my "big girl" book club. Why? Past book clubs I've enjoyed were the old 80:20 rule..80% gossip, drinks and more gossip, and 20% (if that) on the book.  This one follows the 80:20 rule, but the conversation truly is 80% book.

My "club" is made up of an eclectic group of women - I'm one of two New Yorkers, one gal from Mississippi, one from East Texas, three Indian women, one Polish, one Korean girl, and a mid-westerner (Nebraska!).  A great mix that makes for some intense conversations. Our club is in it's infancy stage ( 3 months), but I look forward to the coming reads and discussions.

Our past three months reads:

You'd have to be living in a cave not to have heard of this best-seller. Historical fiction based on the lives of black maids and the "country club" set of white women they work for, based in the 1960's just as the Civil Rights revolution is about to begin. Beautifully50 Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.



A new look at child development that every parent should read. Each chapter was it's own "aha" moment...I particularly liked the chapters on the detriments of over-praising, new research on sleep deprivation, race relations and lying.  Beautifully50 Rating: 4 stars out of 5



At first, I was reluctant to open this one up... "a series of short stories based in Pakistan" (as described to me by a friend), however, I loved this book! The eight stories are linked with some of the same characters, and explore the lives of wealthy Pakistani landowners and the common men and women that serve them. The feudal system is still at work in Pakistan and other parts of the world. Beautifully50 Rating: 5 stars out of 5.

Of course I don't need Dr. Mao to tell me that a healthy, challenged mind is imperative to our quest for longevity.  Next time a book club invitation comes your way, my suggestion is to accept. Of course, the gift of reading is phenomenal, but the discussion the books can spur may pleasantly surprise you! Our next read:



Care to read along??

1 comment:

Cashon&Co said...

I downloaded the Help to my kindle and i need to get my but in gear and start it!! it's just not fun to cozy up and read when it's 28degrees inside your house!!