Welcome! I'm a 48 (and 1/2) year old, wife, mother (8 1/2 year old son), daughter, sister, friend and volunteer. So, 48.5 really means I'm into my 49th year on this amazing planet, and on July 19, 2010, I'll be in my 50th year. The mid-century mark. L. The big 5-0. However you want to say it, to most of the English speaking world, it means "old". I want to get there with grace, passion, beauty, love and laughter. I want to get there the old-fashioned way: by taking care of myself, eating right, creating a balanced life, laughing and living life to it's fullest. I'll be documenting my journey and hope you will watch and learn along the way. I'll also provide some of my tips for looking young and feeling your best as we head to and beyond our mid-century mark. Here's to being "Beautifully 50".

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Laugh your way to Longevity

Too funny...

My nine-year-old daughter walked in while I was getting ready for work. "What are you doing?" she asked. "Putting on my wrinkle cream, " I answered. "Oh, " she said, walking away.
"I thought they were natural. " (Deb Fillman, Reader's Digest)

My friend is a Botox junkie - she can't stop getting the injections. But surprisingly, when I reminded her to get her flu shot, she shuddered. "I hate needles."
I had a solution: "Just pretend it will make your arm look younger." (Linda Lange, Reader's Digest)

One of my favorite Dr. Mao's tip is to embrace the gift of laughter. There is no doubt that joyful people live longer, healthier lives. The late Norman Cousins pioneered "laugh therapy" and discovered that laughter and joy boosted immune functions, particularly the production of the natural killer cells that defend the body against infections and cancer. A good belly laugh can also increase endorphin release in the brain.
So make laughter a big part of your day. Read the comics, watch that favorite show, or call that friend that is sure to make you laugh so hard that you cry...you'll be laughing all the way to the longevity bank!

Heard any good jokes lately?

2 comments:

Cashon&Co said...

I stared long and hard at the wrinkles around my eyes yesterday morning, and had that conversation in my head (you know, where the angel is on one shoulder and the devil on the other) trying to come to terms with the very deep laugh lines at the corner of my eyes. Part of me wants them totally gone. The other part of me, says "accept them" because they're from smiling/laughing. Now, FROWN lines, I WILL NOT ACCEPT!

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

I wish I could share a joke or two, but I'm really bad at remembering one. It seems they just escape my memory after I hear the punch line!

I've always liked what I've heard said in regards to wrinkles, "They are the lines of wisdom and grace that map your journey through life."