Welcome! I'm a 48 (and 1/2) year old, wife, mother (8 1/2 year old son), daughter, sister, friend and volunteer. So, 48.5 really means I'm into my 49th year on this amazing planet, and on July 19, 2010, I'll be in my 50th year. The mid-century mark. L. The big 5-0. However you want to say it, to most of the English speaking world, it means "old". I want to get there with grace, passion, beauty, love and laughter. I want to get there the old-fashioned way: by taking care of myself, eating right, creating a balanced life, laughing and living life to it's fullest. I'll be documenting my journey and hope you will watch and learn along the way. I'll also provide some of my tips for looking young and feeling your best as we head to and beyond our mid-century mark. Here's to being "Beautifully 50".

Monday, February 1, 2010

Salt and Pepper? No, thank you!

Did you know that by the age 50, 50% of women will be 50% gray? Unfortunately, I fall into this category. I remember my first gray hair, around the age of 37...staring, incredulous for minutes in the mirror.  This couldn't be happening to me, I mean my dad had some gray (64-years-old at the time) and my mom, well, her frosted hair was like military camouflage, so I never knew for sure. I plucked that first hair, and then pretended it never existed. Then slowly, but surely, over the next several years, the grays became too much to pluck. See, I have very dark hair, so any white break-through is like white paint on a black canvas...looks modern and contemporary in art, but not on a head of hair..not mine anyway.

Honestly, I don't understand the women that decide to go "au natural" in their forties or fifties. I can't think of anything that will age you more, not wrinkles, nor sun damage, nor extra weight, not even knitted Christmas sweaters. All you need to do is find yourself a fabulous colorist and your gray can be as good as gone. For those on a budget? Clairol and L'oreal make great at -home color kits. I'm in the middle...fortunately I can afford a professional color every 5 weeks, but nowadays my gray is so prevalent, I need a touch up at the mid-way point. Clairol's Nice and Easy Root Touch-up is my little lifesaver. In 10 - 15 minutes I can cover the roots in my part, at my temples and even brighten up my overall hair color.

So, camouflage that gray, somethings are never meant to be natural forever. Now, maybe I'll consider a little showing through when I hit 70, but then again, maybe not.


My little lifesaver
photo credit: Clairol

17 comments:

Cashon&Co said...

I agree. No au natural with salt & pepper. NO WAY!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy your blog--good stuff. I also use Revitalash and love what it's done for my lashes and brows. I started using it about 6 months ago and now only apply it 2X/week for maintenance. Thanks for mentioning it on your blog. I hope others give it a try--it works!

Beautifully50 said...

Hi Anonymous! Thanks for the nice words! I love Revitlash too - but haven't tried in on my eyebrows, but will tonight!! Great tip! Thanks!
cindy

Anonymous said...

I love Revitalash!!! I've been using it now for about 7 months. The change in my lashes has been amazing! I constantly get comments on how gorgeous they are---some even think I'm wearing "falsies". A friend of mine uses it too, and she doesn't even have to wear mascara. She dyes them black and curls!!! Hers look even better than mine...

Anonymous said...

Yeah exactly false lashes is really a waste of time putting them individually on your original lashes. I ended up to quit using false lashes when I starting to use the eyelash conditioner by revitalash and it's been working well for me.

Unknown said...

WOw! it seems many of us are using and have been noticing how amazing revitalash is. Just like alexandra I'm using their eyelash conditioner. I've been applying it to my lashes for about year now. Since then, I got compliments all the time. It really made a big noticeable difference to my face. I'm definitely not switching to a different brand,

avery said...

The first thing I bought online was Revitalash, I have heard so many good things about it and I wanted to try for myself. Its been 2 weeks still and I haven't noticed that much difference but my lashes are darker. Im hoping for good things to come.

faith said...

I have tried other eyelash grower in the past, I didn't get the result I wanted. I was hesitant to try other products until I had no choice but to try Revitalash. I am happy to say that the product really worked for me. My lashes have started to grow back and longer too. It took only 4 weeks for me to noticed the effects. I really love how my lashes look like. I am super satisfied.

faith said...

I have tried other eyelash grower in the past, I didn't get the result I wanted. I was hesitant to try other products until I had no choice but to try Revitalash. I am happy to say that the product really worked for me. My lashes have started to grow back and longer too. It took only 4 weeks for me to noticed the effects. I really love how my lashes look like. I am super satisfied.

gale said...

I love using Revitalash, it is safe and very effective. I know a lot of girls are scared to try, but this is really safe to use.

richie said...

I just love Revitalash, need I say more?

blissy said...

I love Revitalash. I will continue to use it and I will even suggest it to my friends.

annierose said...

2 thumbs up for Maximumlash, I will never try anything else.

jane said...

Maximumlash really works and the best thing is, it doesn't irritate your eyes

rhine said...

I recommend Maximumlash to everyone, nothing to be afraid of because it really works and it has no itching effects.

karen said...

I love maximumlash because it really works!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just bought maximumlash at wallgreen.com and was very happy to know for the pomo they had. I was able to get a $10 rebate check. As instructed, I faxed to them my receipt. oh by the way fax no. is
866-466-7909.